Our BandsWe seat two bands that are generally age/ability based:
- The Varsity Band (grades 7-10)
- All-Star Brass and Percussion Band (ASBP) (grades 10-12)
- Students play on matched sets of professional instruments (except tenor trombones who supply their own horn)
- Rental Fees are included in our tuition (nominal)
- Students & Parents must sign a Rental Agreement
- Inexpensive replacement cost insurance required (secure through homeowner policy)
- ASBP Retreat January 6-8, 2017
- Varsity Retreat January 13-15, 2017
- Location: Geneva Hills
- Retreat Costs ARE included in tuition
- Saturday and Sunday meals included
- Nominal spending money for Pizza and soft drinks extra
TuitionFull Tuition due with first rehearsal (Sunday, Nov. 13th, 2016) and includes:
- Instrument Rental (not required for tenor trombones only)
- Music Folder Fees
- Uniform Shirt (other required components are purchased by student separately)
- Tour costs are NOT included in tuition
- Many fundraising programs are offered to members who can avail themselves of opportunities (not required) to earn significant funds to cover their tuition costs as well as tour. We've had many students who received refund checks because they were industrious. (Any students who are provided any type of scholarship are required to participate in fundraising).
ScholarshipsDepending upon the organization's financial situation, we offer need-based scholarships to off-set part of tuition, but do require fundraising program participation and additional volunteer services in-kind. Students apply directly to Dr. Aho with a written letter of request and should contact him directly with questions.
- Fundraising programs of all varieties available throughout our season (not required except for scholarship recipients).
- After tour and instrument turn in, students with surplus funds in their account are issued a refund check.
- Assertive fundraisers can easily cover 100% of their tour expense as well as recover their initial tuition fees.
- Some students have enough left to cover part of their tuition for the upcoming season!
2014 Carnegie Hall Tour – The Sequel
In 2009, the All-Star Brass Bands were invited to participate in the prestigious New York Band & Orchestra Festival with the hallmark performance at Carnegie Hall. We have just returned from our second Carnegie Hall Tour June 2014! This was an outstanding opportunity and life-changing experience for our the ASBP. As they boarded the bus for NYC, our students were surprised to learn they would have a rehearsal/master class with none other than Wynton Marsallis! We are so thankful that such a renown musician would share so much of his time with our students. Our tour included a terrific Central Park Performance again and culminated in our formal appearance at Carnegie Hall. How many people do you know who can say they've performed at Carnegie Hall? And we got a standing ovation!
How do you get to Carnegie Hall?
Practice-Practice-Practice AND be an All-Star!